Categories
Sports Daypop

Sean O’Malley will undergo hip surgery following title loss to Merab Dvalishvili at UFC 306

Former UFC bantamweight champion Sean O’Malley (18-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) will undergo hip surgery early next month.

Per ESPN’s Brett Okamoto the surgery will rule him out for “anywhere from six months to one year.” The 29-year-old suffered a torn labrum in his hip 10 weeks ago, but went through training for his second defense title against Merab Dvalishvili at UFC 306 on Saturday in Las Vegas, where he lost to Dvalishvili via unanimous decision. O’Malley loss snapped a seven-fight unbeaten streak, and was also his second career defeat.

O’Malley revealed the news in an interview with online streamer Adin Ross following his championship loss at UFC 306. O’Malley said (per MMC Uncensored): “I have surgery on Oct. 3. I tore my left labrum in my hip. That’s the only reason I’m going to be out for so long. This surgery should only take two months to come back from, then a couple of months recovery, so a year is a long time. It could be six to eight months. But you never know. … UFC won’t be the same without me.”

In his podcast with head coach Tim Welsh, O’Malley stated that the injury had nothing to do with his loss to Dvalishvili: “Best weight cut, felt good, no excuses. My mom, she’s like, ‘You just weren’t the same, what was wrong?’ Nothing. I just got beat. Everyone keeps asking me, ‘Something seemed off.’ No excuses.”

Dvalishvili will likely face undefeated challenger Umar Nurmagomedov in his first title defense, however Dvalishvili said he would prefer a fight against former flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo.

Editorial credit: Shutterstock AI Generator / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin says Justin Fields will be team’s starting QB against Chargers

Pittsburgh Steelers’ head coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that they are planning to start Justin Fields as quarterback in their Week 3 matchup against the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday, while Russell Wilson continues to work through a lingering calf injury he suffered in training camp on Sept. 5.

Tomlin said Tuesday (per ESPN): “We’re kind of in the same posture as we were in last week with Russ. As I sit here today, Russ is not scheduled to be a full participant in practice [Wednesday], and so we’re readying a plan that features Justin and his readiness … We’re readying ourselves around Justin. We’ll stay in that mindset until something happens. Hypotheticals are a waste of time.” Tomlin added that he wouldn’t speculate on the starting quarterback job until Wilson is healthy.

Fields has gone 2-0 in his first two starts for the Steelers this year, and threw his lone touchdown of the season in Pittsburgh’s 13-6 win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday. Wilson was limited in practice all of last week and won’t be able to fully participate when the Steelers start practice on Wednesday.

The Steelers will play the Chargers at Acrisure Stadium at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Editorial credit: Jamie Lamor Thompson / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Nikki Glaser to host the 2025 Golden Globe Awards

Comedian Nikki Glaser is set to host the 82nd annual Golden Globe Awards in 2025, with CBS sharing in a social media post: “The Globes have gone Glaser 🎤 @NikkiGlaser is set to host the 2025 #GoldenGlobes on Sunday, January 5! LIVE on @CBS and streaming on @paramountplus ✨

Glaser said she is “absolutely thrilled,” about her hosting gig, sharing in a statement: ““I am absolutely thrilled to be hosting the Golden Globes. It’s one of my favorite nights of television and now I get a front row seat (actually, I think I have to host from the stage). The Golden Globes is not only a huge night for TV and film, but also for comedy. It’s one of the few times that show business not only allows, but encourages itself to be lovingly mocked (at least I hope so). (God I hope so). It’s an exciting, yet challenging gig because it’s live, unpredictable, and in front of Hollywood’s biggest stars (who also might be getting wasted while seated next to their recent exes) … Some of my favorite jokes of all time have come from past Golden Globes opening monologues when Tina, Amy, or Ricky have said exactly what we all didn’t know we desperately needed to hear. I just hope to continue in that time honored tradition (that might also get me canceled). This is truly a dream job. Plus, I no longer have to feel guilty for every TV show and movie I’ve binged over the past year. It was all worth it. (‘Below Deck: Sailing Yacht’ Season Four will be nominated, right?).”

Helen Hoehne, president of the Golden Globes, said in a statement: “Nikki Glaser is a comedic powerhouse whose daring and unfiltered humor is the perfect match for the Golden Globes. She is sure to bring a unique energy and spontaneity to the show that will keep the audience entertained all night.” Jay Penske, Chairman and CEO of Dick Clark Productions and Penske Media, added: “Nikki Glaser brings a fresh and unmatched candor to her comedy and to the Golden Globes. Her unapologetic style made her an obvious and compelling choice as host for this year’s event. We’re hopeful this could be the first of many Golden Globes that Nikki will surprise and delight our CBS audience, as well as our audiences around the globe.”

Glaser was previously nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Variety Special, HBO’s Nikki Glaser: Someday You’ll Die, and also hosts The Nikki Glaser Podcast as well as Lovers and Liars (a spinoff of the reality dating series “FBoy Island.”).

The 82nd Golden Globe Award ceremony will air Jan. 5, 2025 at 8-11 p.m. ET/PT on CBS and streaming on Paramount+ in the U.S.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Demi Lovato teams with Grupo Firme for the collab ‘Chula’

Demi Lovato and Grupo Firme have collaborated on a new bilingual single titled “Chula,” which the group debuted at a recent show in Austin’s Moody Center as part of their extended La Última Peda Tour 2024.

Grupo Firme lead singer Eduin Caz shared in a statement: “We’ve been huge fans of Demi’s for so long. Working with her on ‘Chula’ was so much fun and I think it really comes through on the track. The fans are going to love it!”

Adds Lovato, 31: “I’m thrilled to collaborate with Grupo Firme on ‘Chula’.  Their energy and passion for music are infectious, and coming together with Eduin on this track has been an incredible experience. I can’t wait for our fans to hear it and feel the same joy we felt when creating it!”

Grupo Firme is one of the most successful Música Mexicana groups. Formed in 2013 in Tijuana, with Sinaloan roots, the group has established a massive fanbase driven by their powerful songs and passionate live performances. They have collectively won dozens of awards, ten Lo Nuestro Awards, four Premios Juventud, a Latin Grammy, an iHeart Music Award, a Latin AMA, and many others.

Check out the official music video for Grupo Firme and Demi Lovato’s ‘Chula’ – HERE.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Pittsburgh Penguins re-sign Sidney Crosby to 2-year, $17.4M contract extension

Veteran center Sidney Crosby has signed a new two-year, $17.4 million contract extension with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby is in the final season of a 12-year contract; the new deal starts in the 2025-26 season and runs through the 2026-27 season, when Crosby will be 39 years old.

Penguins general manager Kyle Dubas announced on Monday in a news release: “There are no words to properly describe what Sidney Crosby means to the game of hockey, the city of Pittsburgh and the Penguins organization Sidney is the greatest player of his generation and one of the greatest players in the history of the game. His actions today show why he is one of hockey’s greatest winners and leaders. Sid is making a tremendous personal sacrifice in an effort to help the Penguins win, both now and in the future, as he has done for his entire career.”

The contract carries an annual average value of $8.7 million against the NHL salary cap; and his contract extension earns him a base salary of $780,000 with a $9 million signing bonus in 2025-26 and a $1.09 million salary and a $6,530,000 signing bonus in 2026-27. The contract carries a full no-movement clause.

Crosby, 37, was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft; he won three Stanley Cup titles, three Ted Lindsay Awards, two Art Ross Trophies, two Conn Smythe Trophies, two Hart Memorial Trophies, two Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophies and the Mark Messier Leadership Award over his first 19 seasons with the Penguins.

The veteran center has logged 592 goals and 1,004 assists over his first 1,272 appearances for the Penguins; last season, he totaled 42 goals and 52 assists over 82 games last season. H

Crosby is the franchise leader in games played, even-strength goals, even-strength points and game-winning goals. Crosby’s 17 seasons as captain are the second-most for any player for the same franchise, trailing only the 19-year tenure of former Detroit Red Wings star Steve Yzerman.

Editorial credit: Jai Agnish / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Kansas City Chiefs’ Isiah Pacheco fractures fibula, lands on IR

Kansas City Chiefs running back Isiah Pacheco is expected to be placed on injured reserve after suffering a fibula injury during the Chiefs’ 26-25 win in Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said on X: “#Chiefs star RB Isiah Pacheco, who left the stadium in a walking boot and crutches, fractured his fibula based on initial tests, sources say. More information coming to determine severity and associated damage, but Pacheco is set to miss real time.”

ESPN reported that early tests show that Pacheco suffered a fractured fibula in the Chiefs’ win over the Cincinnati Bengals; Pacheco underwent X-rays on Sunday night and will have an MRI on Monday to determine whether there is a fracture and/or ligament damage to his right ankle. The RB left Arrowhead Stadium on crutches and with his right foot in a walking boot after the game.

Pacheco, 25, has led the Chiefs’ in rushing in each of the past two seasons, running for 935 yards on 4.6 yards per carry and seven touchdowns last season. In two games this season, he has rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown while averaging 4.0 yards per carry; during Sunday’s game, Pacheco rushed for 90 yards on 19 carries and caught five passes for 21 yards.

Pacheco will be sidelined for the next four weeks if he winds up on injured reserve. Kansas City has games against the Atlanta Falcons, Los Angeles Chargers and New Orleans Saints in the next three weeks before their bye week in Week 6.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Gina Rodriguez joins cast of ABC’s ‘Will Trent’ for Season 3

Gina Rodriguez has joined the Season 3 cast of the ABC drama “Will Trent” as a series regular. Per Variety, Rodriguez will play Marion Alba, who is described as a “charismatic, confident assistant district attorney who is new to Atlanta. After her first encounter with Will (Ramón Rodriguez) falls flat, the pair is surprised to learn that they must work together to investigate a crime in the world of Atlanta gangs.”

“Will Trent” follows the titular character (Ramón Rodriguez), a special agent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation who was abandoned at birth and grew up in the Atlanta foster care system who now has the highest clearance rate in the bureau. Alongside Ramón Rodriguez, the cast includes Sonja Sohn as Amanda Wagner, Erika Christensen as Angie Polaski, Iantha Richardson as Faith Mitchell and Jake McLaughlin as Michael Ormewood.

Gina Rodriguez is best known for leading the CW dreamed “Jane the Virgin” which ran for five seasons from 2014-2019, and also starred in the sitcom “Not Dead Yet” from 2023-2024 on ABC. Deadline reports that Rodriguez’s casting expands her relationship with ABC/Disney following her co-hosting duties alongside Shaquille O’Neal on the game show Lucky 13, which is currently airing on the network.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

See Bebe Rexha in the video for ‘I’m the Drama’

Bebe Rexha has shared the official music video for her latest single, “I’m The Drama”, which she debuted live on stage during her set at Coachella in April.

‘I’m The Drama’ is Bebe’s latest single following the previously released tracks “Chase It (Mmm Da Da Da),” produced by Chris Lake, Sammy Virji, Punctual, and Marco Straus, which recently hit No. 1 on dance radio.

Rexha dropped her third studio album, Bebe, last year, which included the smash hit “I’m Good (Blue)” with David Guetta, her fourth top 10 hit, which stayed at No. 1 on dance radio for a record-breaking 53 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination. “I’m Good (Blue)” has also amassed over two billion streams globally.

See Bebe Rexha’s video for I’m The Drama – HERE.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Lady Gaga to release new single in October, dropping seventh studio album in 2025

Lady Gaga is teasing new music, as well as the upcoming release of her seventh studio album next year tentatively titled ‘LG7.’

Gaga, 38, first shared a photo in a post to her X account a glimpse at her itinerary for the next month, with her schedule ending with a line that read, “XX October: LG7 first single.” Elsewhere on her schedule was listed the premiere of her new movie, Joker: Folie à Deux, on October 4.

Last week, Gaga attended the Venice International Film Festival premiere of Joker: Folie à Deux with her fiancé, Michael Polanski, and in a new Vogue cover feature, Gaga further detailed that LG7 is due out in February 2025, with the untitled first single dropping in October.  The singer told Vogue about the album: “there’s a lot of pain associated with this adventure, and when I start to explore that pain it can bring out another side to my artistry. When I’m here at this studio [Rick Rubin’s Shangri-La], I’m relaxed and I am able to face my demons and what’s remarkable is… that’s the music. I’m able to hear it back.”

Gaga and Bruno Mars also just released their duet, “Die With a Smile,” which they performed together in August during one of Mars’ Los Angeles concerts. The duo also released the accompanying music video to the track, which debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart – marking the singer’s highest charting track since her 2020 collab with Ariana Grande, “Rain on Me” which hit No. 1.

Editorial credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Lady Gaga to release new single in October, dropping seventh studio album in 2025

Lady Gaga is teasing new music, as well as the upcoming release of her seventh studio album next year tentatively titled ‘LG7.’

Gaga, 38, first shared a photo in a post to her X account a glimpse at her itinerary for the next month, with her schedule ending with a line that read, “XX October: LG7 first single.” Elsewhere on her schedule was listed the premiere of her new movie, Joker: Folie à Deux, on October 4.

Last week, Gaga attended the Venice International Film Festival premiere of Joker: Folie à Deux with her fiancé, Michael Polanski, and in a new Vogue cover feature, Gaga further detailed that LG7 is due out in February 2025, with the untitled first single dropping in October.  The singer told Vogue about the album: “there’s a lot of pain associated with this adventure, and when I start to explore that pain it can bring out another side to my artistry. When I’m here at this studio [Rick Rubin’s Shangri-La], I’m relaxed and I am able to face my demons and what’s remarkable is… that’s the music. I’m able to hear it back.”

Gaga and Bruno Mars also just released their duet, “Die With a Smile,” which they performed together in August during one of Mars’ Los Angeles concerts. The duo also released the accompanying music video to the track, which debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart – marking the singer’s highest charting track since her 2020 collab with Ariana Grande, “Rain on Me” which hit No. 1.

Editorial credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com