Categories
Sports Daypop

Brewers’ J.C. Mejía gets 162-game ban after second failed test for illegal substance

Major League Baseball announced thatMilwaukee Brewers pitcher J.C. Mejia was issued a 162-game suspension without pay or a second failed test for stanozolol, an illegal performance-enhancing substance.

The 27-year-old Dominican right-hander, who appeared in nine games this year for the Brewers, first tested positive for the banned anabolic steroid in May of last year and received an 80-game ban from MLB. Mejia’s second positive test for the performance-enhancing substance led MLB to issue what equals a full season ban to the Brewers reliever immediately as a repeat offender under its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program with the players union.

Brewers general manager Matt Arnold said in a statement: “The Milwaukee Brewers fully support MLB’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and share in the goal of eliminating performance-enhancing substances from our game.”

Mejia, who made his MLB debut in 2021 with Cleveland, was re-signed by the Brewers to a minor-league deal in the offseason. He was 1-0 this season with a 5.56 earned-run average, 13 strikeouts and three walks over 11 1/3 innings. He was on the Brewers’ 60-day injured list with shoulder inflammation at the time of his suspension.

Editorial credit: University of College / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Detroit Tigers hire former Cubs, Blackhawks assistant Jeff Greenberg as new GM

Detroit Tigers president of baseball operations Scott Harris announced Thursday that Jeff Greenberg has been hired as the team’s new general manager.  Greenberg, 37, was a former assistant GM with the Chicago Cubs, and associate GM with the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks. Greenberg replaces Al Avila, who was GM of the Tigers from 2015 until his firing in August 2022; the position has remained vacant since then.

Harris said in a team statement: “I’m thrilled to add an executive of Jeff’s quality to our baseball operations leadership team Throughout this search, it was important for me to find someone who can fit seamlessly into the culture we’re building here. I also wanted to bring in someone with a fresh perspective and new ideas that could challenge us on a daily basis and make us all better as we strive towards our goal of bringing postseason baseball back to Detroit. We’re excited to welcome Jeff, his wife, Erin, and their sons, Leo and Sam, to the Tigers family.”

Greenberg said: “It’s an extraordinary honor to take on this role with one of the most historic franchises in Major League Baseball. Throughout my conversations with Scott, Chris Ilitch and the rest of the team with the Tigers, it became clear that this organization is headed in a great direction with an incredible culture of development and innovation that I’m excited to be part of. Another constant message in those conversations was that Tigers fans want to see winning baseball deep into October. I’m excited to get to work with our front office on off-season and longer-term plans to make that our reality.”

Greenberg began his career in baseball as a minor-league video intern in the early 2010s. He held multiple jobs with the Cubs including director of pro scouting and baseball operations, director of baseball operations and assistant to the general manager, with his last three years spent as assistant GM. According to MLB.com, Greenberg’s work with the Blackhawks as associate GM spanned numerous areas, including scouting, development, coaching and operations.

Editorial credit: TPG85 / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

See Jason Momoa as King of Atlantis in new trailer for ‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’

The official trailer for “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” was just released, with a tweet reading“The tide is turning. #Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom – Only in theaters December 20.”

The sequel to 2018’s “Aquaman” features the return of Jason Momoa as the titular DC superhero (a.k.a. Arthur Curry) and new king of Atlantis, with James Wan as director. Amber Heard, Dolph Lundgren, Randall Park, Temuera Morrison and Nicole Kidman also star in the film.

An official film synopsis reads: “Having failed to defeat Aquaman the first time, Black Manta, still driven by the need to avenge his father’s death, will stop at nothing to take Aquaman down once and for all. This time Black Manta is more formidable than ever, wielding the power of the mythic Black Trident, which unleashes an ancient and malevolent force. To defeat him, Aquaman will turn to his imprisoned brother Orm, the former King of Atlantis, to forge an unlikely alliance. Together, they must set aside their differences in order to protect their kingdom and save Aquaman’s family, and the world, from irreversible destruction.”

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” debuts in theaters worldwide on Dec. 20. Check out the trailer – here.

Editorial credit: Fred Duval / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Joe Jonas responds to Sophie Turner’s lawsuit regarding custody of their two children

Joe Jonas has responded through his rep to Sophie Turner‘s lawsuit against him, which alleges that Jonas has “wrongful retention” of the estranged couple’s two young daughters in the United States. Sophie, 27, filed a lawsuit in NYC against Joe, 34, on Wed, September 20, demanding “the immediate return” of their 3-year-old and 1-year-old daughters to England. Turner’s lawsuit states that Jonas is wrongfully detaining their kids in the U.S. (and keeping their passports from their mother) as the former couple allegedly agreed in December 2022 the children would move to England.  Joe’s initial divorce filing in Miami reportedly restricts either parent from relocating with their children.

On Thursday, Sept 21, a rep for Jonas responded to Turner’s lawsuit.  According to TMZ, Joe’s rep said: “After multiple conversations with Sophie, Joe initiated divorce proceedings in Florida, as Florida is the appropriate jurisdiction for the case. Sophie was aware that Joe was going to file for divorce.The Florida Court has already entered an order that restricts both parents from relocating the children. Sophie was served with this order on September 6, 2023, more than two weeks ago.”  Jonas’ rep said that Sophie’s lawsuit is “a harsh legal position,” and added: “this is an unfortunate legal disagreement about a marriage that is sadly ending. When language like ‘abduction’ is used, it is misleading at best, and a serious abuse of the legal system at worst.”

Jonas’ rep also claimed that the couple met up as recently as September 17 to work towards an “amicable parenting setup” for their kids, but “less than 24 hours later, Sophie advised that she wanted to take the children permanently to the UK. Thereafter, she demanded via this filing that Joe hand over the children’s passports so that she could take them out of the country immediately.” Joe’s rep noted that their daughters have been living in New York with Sophie. “Joe is seeking shared parenting with the kids so that they are raised by both their mother and father, and is of course also okay with the kids being raised both in the U.S. and the UK.”

Sophie also claimed in her lawsuit that she “found out through the media” that Joe filed for divorce on September 5, a claim that Joe’s rep denied, saying that Turner and Jonas had “multiple conversations” about the end of their marriage before Joe filed for divorce.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Joe Jonas responds to Sophie Turner’s lawsuit regarding custody of their two children

Joe Jonas has responded through his rep to Sophie Turner‘s lawsuit against him, which alleges that Jonas has “wrongful retention” of the estranged couple’s two young daughters in the United States. Sophie, 27, filed a lawsuit in NYC against Joe, 34, on Wed, September 20, demanding “the immediate return” of their 3-year-old and 1-year-old daughters to England. Turner’s lawsuit states that Jonas is wrongfully detaining their kids in the U.S. (and keeping their passports from their mother) as the former couple allegedly agreed in December 2022 the children would move to England.  Joe’s initial divorce filing in Miami reportedly restricts either parent from relocating with their children.

On Thursday, Sept 21, a rep for Jonas responded to Turner’s lawsuit.  According to TMZ, Joe’s rep said: “After multiple conversations with Sophie, Joe initiated divorce proceedings in Florida, as Florida is the appropriate jurisdiction for the case. Sophie was aware that Joe was going to file for divorce.The Florida Court has already entered an order that restricts both parents from relocating the children. Sophie was served with this order on September 6, 2023, more than two weeks ago.”  Jonas’ rep said that Sophie’s lawsuit is “a harsh legal position,” and added: “this is an unfortunate legal disagreement about a marriage that is sadly ending. When language like ‘abduction’ is used, it is misleading at best, and a serious abuse of the legal system at worst.”

Jonas’ rep also claimed that the couple met up as recently as September 17 to work towards an “amicable parenting setup” for their kids, but “less than 24 hours later, Sophie advised that she wanted to take the children permanently to the UK. Thereafter, she demanded via this filing that Joe hand over the children’s passports so that she could take them out of the country immediately.” Joe’s rep noted that their daughters have been living in New York with Sophie. “Joe is seeking shared parenting with the kids so that they are raised by both their mother and father, and is of course also okay with the kids being raised both in the U.S. and the UK.”

Sophie also claimed in her lawsuit that she “found out through the media” that Joe filed for divorce on September 5, a claim that Joe’s rep denied, saying that Turner and Jonas had “multiple conversations” about the end of their marriage before Joe filed for divorce.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Anitta, Jungkook, Sofia Carson to perform at 2023 Global Citizen Festival

BTS’s Jungook, Anitta, DJ D-Nice and Sofia Carson have been added to the lineup for this year’s Global Citizen Festival, joining festival headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ms. Lauryn Hill. Megan Thee Stallion, as well as Conan Gray and Stray Kids are also set to perform.

According to a press release, the festival’s 2023 call to action is focused on addressing the climate crisis, disrupting systemic issues that perpetuate extreme poverty and advocating for equity for women and girls across the globe. Katie Hill, SVP, Head of Music, Entertainment and Artist Relations, Global Citizen, said, “This year’s campaign is driving a record number of actions from global citizens around the world, and we’re grateful to this year’s performers and presenters for leveraging their voices and joining us on the Great Lawn on September 23.”

In addition to the announcement of new performers, Global Citizen also unveiled the celebrities and advocates will participate in the event, set to take place on the Great Lawn of Central Park in New York City on Sept. 23. Bill Nye, Bridget Moynahan, Busy Philipps, Carmelo Anthony, Common, Connie Britton, Danai Gurira, Gayle King, Jordan Fisher, Lewis Pugh, Padma Lakshmi, Phoebe Gates, Rachel Brosnahan and Sophia Bush are among the guests.

Global Citizen Festival will take place on the Great Lawn of New York’s Central Park on Sept. 23. Free tickets can be earned to the NYC event by taking action on the Global Citizen app and online at www.globalcitizen.org.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Minnesota Twins place Carlos Correa on 10-day injured list

The Minnesota Twins announced Wednesday that they have placed shortstop Carlos Correa on the 10-day injured list with plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

Correa was removed from Monday’s game against the Cincinnati Reds after experiencing a popping sensation in his left heel when tracking down a shallow fly ball. He has played through the injury since May but Minnesota thought this was the right time to sideline him. Minnesota (80-72) leads the American League Central by eight games with 10 remaining in the regular season.

Correa has played in a team-leading 135 games this season, hitting .230 (118-for-514) with 29 doubles, two triples, 18 home runs, 65 RBI, 60 runs scored, 59 walks, a .312 on-base percentage and a .711 OPS. To replace Correa on the 28-man roster, the Twins recalled outfielder Trevor Larnach from Triple-A St. Paul in a corresponding move. In 72 games for the Saints this season, Larnach has hit .271 (71-for-262) with 14 doubles, one triple, 15 home runs, 47 RBI and an .888 OPS. In 50 games for the Twins this season, Larnach has hit .216 (35-for-162) with six doubles, three triples, six home runs and 32 RBI.

Editorial credit: Keeton Gale / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Cleveland Browns signs RB Kareem Hunt after Nick Chubb’s season-ending injury

Just days after the Browns lost Nick Chubb to a season-ending knee injury, Cleveland re-signed running back Kareem Hunt on a one-year deal on Wednesday worth up to $4 million. Hunt, who spent the last four years with Cleveland, tried out for the Browns on Tuesday.  This will be his fifth season with the Browns.

The 28-year-old Hunt will begin his seventh NFL season, after breaking into the league as a rookie with the Chiefs in 2017, when he led the NFL in rushing. The running back has tallied 1,874 rushing yards, 973 receiving receiving yards and 23 total touchdowns during his time in Cleveland, but had a disappointing campaign in 2022, running for 468 yards last season in 17 games, along with a career-worst 3.80 yards per carry.

Hunt requested a trade and sat out training camp; the Browns tried to trade him leading into the trade deadline, but were unable complete a deal.  Hunt struggled to find work despite visiting with other teams like the Colts and Saints.

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said Tuesday that 2022 fifth-round draft pick Jerome Ford will be Cleveland’s featured starter: “You don’t replace Nick Chubb. You just don’t do that. Great players in the league, you look around, they go out. It’s always not one person that replaces a player of [Chubb’s] caliber. So, everybody’s got to do a little bit more, a little bit more everywhere.”

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Adam Sandler to launch ‘I Missed You’ Comedy Tour

Adam Sandler announced he will embark on the 25-city I Missed You tour. The star himself took to Instagram to share a promotional video for the shows, along with the caption, “Let’s have some fun.” The I Missed You tour kicks-off Oct. 12 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver before wrapping up on Dec. 12 at Denver’s Ball Arena.

Sandler appears with his daughters Sunny Sandler and Sadie Sandler, along with wife, Jackie Sandler, in the coming-of-age comedy You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah, which debuted on Netflix last month to rave reviews.  My Bat Mitzvah director Sammi Cohen praised Sandler for the support he provided to everyone involved with the film, saying in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter: “He’s hilarious, and he’s always making everything funnier. He really gave everyone space to do their thing, but when people needed support, he was there. He’s wearing multiple hats — producing, acting, being an actual dad. It’s almost inhuman. Nothing suffers — he does it all 110 percent.”

Tickets are on sale now via Ticketmaster.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Ed Sheeran, Lil Durk among Amazon Music Live performers

Amazon Music will launch the second season of Amazon Music Live (AML), the weekly concert series streaming live after Thursday Night Football. Grammy-winning hip-hop icon 2 Chainz will return to host season two, and the series will be broadcast live from Los Angeles and air on Prime Video and the Amazon Music channel on Twitch at 9 pm PDT on Thursdays. Each week’s performance will be filmed live in front of an audience in Los Angeles, and tickets will be available via live events company Dice, by invitation only.

AML will make its return with a performance from Grammy-winning artist Ed Sheeran in its September 21st premiere show, just a week before the release of his new album, Autumn Variations, which is out September 29th. Rapper Lil Durk will make his debut the following week on October 5th. Each week, 2 Chainz will provide fans with unprecedented access to their favorite artists during the AML broadcast. Fans will also be able to tune into the Amazon Music Live preshow, which features interviews, special guests, and other surprises and will air on the Amazon Music channel on Twitch starting at 8 pm PDT.

The first season of Amazon Music Live last fall featuring performances from artists including Lil Baby, Megan Thee Stallion, Kane Brown, Lil Wayne, Anuel AA, A$AP Rocky, Anitta, and 21 Savage.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com