Categories
Pop Daypop

John Legend, Jennifer Hudson Dan + Shay to headline Shaquille O’Neal Foundation gala in Las Vegas

John Legend, Dan + Shay, Jennifer Hudson, Anderson .Paak and Ray Romano will be among the celebrities headlining the annual fundraising gala for Shaquille O’Neal Foundation. The foundation announced the lineup for ‘The Event,’ which will be held on Oct. 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Hosted by comedian and actor Joel McHale, The Event is a major fundraiser for the Shaquille O’Neal Foundation, which partners with the Boys & Girls Clubs and Communities in Schools to support underserved youth. The Event has raised more than $6 million, helping build new youth athletic courts and fields and supporting the annual Shaq-a-Claus holiday program.

O’Neal said in a news release: “We raised the bar last year, and The Third Event promises to do the same. I’m so grateful to our entertainers who are once again donating their time. I know they will create a night of incredible music and comedy in a true testament to the power of unity to make a difference in kids’ lives.” This year’s proceeds will help build a new joint facility in Las Vegas for a Boys & Girls Club and a Communities in Schools alumni center.

Tickets for the gala are available at AXS.com.

Editorial credit: A.PAES / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Miley Cyrus opens up about divorce from Liam Hemsworth in ‘Used to Be Young’ TikTok series

Miley Cyrus said that her new TikTok video series, inspired by her latest single “Used to Be Young,” will be “looking back on my life and sharing untold stories.” In an Instagram post, the 30-year-old Cyrus revealed the new TikTok series will “start at the beginning” of her story in 1992, and trace the course of her three decades of life, including offering new details about some of her most memorable moments.

Cyrus wrote in the post’s caption: “Sometimes it feels like my life started when Hannah Montana was born. But before Hannah there was Miley. My fantasy was to light up the world with laughter, music & iconic moments that last beyond my lifetime. Decades later I continue to fulfill my purpose because of the love provided by my fans.” She urges fans to “follow along on my TikTok page” to catch new updates in the series.

In the first clip posted on TikTok, Cyrus said, “I am going to start at the beginning of my life in 1992 until now in 2023 and we’re gonna go through the last 30 years. I got nowhere to be, b—-.”  And in the most recent clip (Part 37) posted on Sept. 6, Miley discusses the dissolution of her marriage to actor Liam Hemsworth. Cyrus and Hemsworth met while filming her movie The Last Song in 2010 and got married in 2018, splitting in August 2019 after less than one year as man and wife. Miley revealed that their decision to marry was “me and Liam’s commitment to being married, just really… came from of course a place of love first because we’d been together for 10 years. Cyrus later shared the moments when she decided that the marriage “was no longer going to work in my life,” saying: “That was another moment when the work, the performance, the character came first … the human comes first.”

Keep an eye out for more clips from Miley Cyrus’ “Used To Be Young” series on her official TikTok page.

Miley Cyrus Reflects On Tough Liam Hemsworth Divorce, Says She Decided To Split On Same Day As Glastonbury Performance

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Miley Cyrus opens up about divorce from Liam Hemsworth in ‘Used to Be Young’ TikTok series

Miley Cyrus said that her new TikTok video series, inspired by her latest single “Used to Be Young,” will be “looking back on my life and sharing untold stories.” In an Instagram post, the 30-year-old Cyrus revealed the new TikTok series will “start at the beginning” of her story in 1992, and trace the course of her three decades of life, including offering new details about some of her most memorable moments.

Cyrus wrote in the post’s caption: “Sometimes it feels like my life started when Hannah Montana was born. But before Hannah there was Miley. My fantasy was to light up the world with laughter, music & iconic moments that last beyond my lifetime. Decades later I continue to fulfill my purpose because of the love provided by my fans.” She urges fans to “follow along on my TikTok page” to catch new updates in the series.

In the first clip posted on TikTok, Cyrus said, “I am going to start at the beginning of my life in 1992 until now in 2023 and we’re gonna go through the last 30 years. I got nowhere to be, b—-.”  And in the most recent clip (Part 37) posted on Sept. 6, Miley discusses the dissolution of her marriage to actor Liam Hemsworth. Cyrus and Hemsworth met while filming her movie The Last Song in 2010 and got married in 2018, splitting in August 2019 after less than one year as man and wife. Miley revealed that their decision to marry was “me and Liam’s commitment to being married, just really… came from of course a place of love first because we’d been together for 10 years. Cyrus later shared the moments when she decided that the marriage “was no longer going to work in my life,” saying: “That was another moment when the work, the performance, the character came first … the human comes first.”

Keep an eye out for more clips from Miley Cyrus’ “Used To Be Young” series on her official TikTok page.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Coco Gauff defeats Jelena Ostapenko to reach her first US Open semifinals

World No. 6 Coco Gauff defeated Jelena Ostapenko in straight sets on Tuesday with a 6-0 6-2 victory in the 2023 U.S. Open quarterfinals, advancing the 19-year-old to the semifinals for the first time. ESPN Stats & Info tweeted that Gauff is the first American teenager to reach the U.S. Open semifinals since Serena Williams did so in 2001.

Gauff said in her on-court interview after the win: “I’m so happy. Last year I lost in the quarterfinals. I’m happy and ready to get back to work on the next one.”  She added: “Honestly, I didn’t feel comfortable at all during the match – even on the match points. I know the game [Ostapenko] plays. She has the ability to come back no matter the scoreline, so I was just trying to get every point, put every ball in. It’s really tough against her because you can’t really be aggressive, so I was trying my best to be aggressive when I could, and most of the time I was just trying to get the ball deep. She’s a tough player and she had a great tournament.”

Gauff is seeking her first Grand Slam title; she reached the quarterfinals at the French Open before losing to No. 1 seed Iga Świątek in straight sets.  Her previous best finish at the U.S. Open was a quarterfinal appearance last year, before falling in straight sets to Caroline Garcia.

Gauff is also chasing a doubles title with partner Jessica Pegula. They will take on Su-Wei Hsieh and Wang Xinyu in the quarterfinals on Wednesday. The last player to win a singles and doubles title in the same year was Serena Williams in 1999 at the age of 18.

Gauff will face either Sorana Cîrstea, or this year’s French Open runner-up Karolína Muchová, in the next round.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Spain women’s soccer coach fired amid fallout of president kissing player at World Cup

Spain’s women’s soccer coach Jorge Vilda has been fired amid the fallout over the unwanted kiss on the lips that soccer chief Luis Rubiales gave a player at the Women’s World Cup final.  The firing was announced by Pedro Rocha, who is serving as interim president amid Luis Rubiales’ hiatus. The move comes as part of a shake-up in Spanish soccer ever since Rubiales, the president of the country’s soccer federation (RFEF), forcibly kissed forward Jennifer Hermoso on August 20th.

Rubiales apologized for his actions, describing the kiss as “mutual”; however, Hermoso denied his claims. Rubiales was given a 90-day suspension by FIFA while disciplinary proceedings are underway. In a statement, Rocha issued an apology and criticized Rubiales for “totally unacceptable behavior … The damage caused to Spanish football, Spanish sport, Spanish society and to the set of values of soccer and sport has been enormous. The [federation] wants to transmit, to the whole of society and to the whole of football world, its greatest regret for what happened, which has tarnished our team, our football and our society.”

Vilda had been the women’s national team coach since 2015. RFEF said in a statement regarding Villa’s firing that aid he was “key to the notable growth of women’s football and leaves Spain as world champions and second in the FIFA rankings,” adding that  “RFEF appreciates his work at the head of the national team and his responsibilities as the maximum sporting figure of the women’s national teams, as well as the successes reaped during his term, crowned with the recent achievement of the World Cup.” Vilda was praised for his “impeccable personal and sporting conduct” and as a “key part of the notable growth of women’s football in Spain,” describing him as “a promoter of the values of respect and sportsmanship in football.” Vilda, who previously coached Spain’s under-17 and under-19 women’s teams, led La Roja to a first Women’s World Cup title last month with a 1-0 victory against England in the final.

The federation described the move as “one of the first measures of restructuring announced by (interim) President Pedro Rocha.” RFEF also announced Vilda would be replaced by his deputy, Montse Tomé, making her the first woman in charge of the women’s national team. Her debut match will come on September 22 against Sweden.

Editorial credit: Jose Breton- Pics Action / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Meg Ryan makes a return to rom-com with ‘What Happens Later’

Bleecker Street debuted the first trailer for the romantic-comedy What Happens Later, featuring Meg Ryan and David Duchovny. Ryan co-wrote and directed What Happens Later, her first film since directing and starring in the 2015 movie Ithaca.

What Happens Later is based on Steven Dietz’s play ‘Shooting Star.’  In the film, Willa (Ryan) and Bill (Duchovny) are a former couple who unexpectedly reunite after getting snowed in at a regional airport overnight.  An official synopsis reads: “Indefinitely delayed, Willa, a magical thinker, and Bill, a catastrophic one, find themselves just as attracted to and annoyed by one another as they did decades earlier. But as they unpack the riddle of their mutual past and compare their lives to the dreams they once shared, they begin to wonder if their reunion is mere coincidence, or something more enchanted.”

What Happens Later was made to recapture the “cheeky magic of Ryan’s rom-coms of the 90s,” according to the synopsis. Ryan told Entertainment Weekly that rom-coms “really work when the two characters are somehow opposites and yet have a rhythm of intellect and humor and dialogue and banter that sort of indicates their compatibility,” and added: “it’s just been really fun to see David embrace this guy who I don’t think is anything really like David. Whereas the Willa thing I can really relate to. To see him dive into every single scene in the fullest way, he’s funny, and he’s smart, and he’s dear, and irresistible.”

What Happens Later is in theaters Oct. 13.  Take a look at the trailer – here.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner divorcing after four years of marriage

Joe Jonas has filed for divorce from Sophie Turner after four years of marriage. Legal documents obtained by People claim “the marriage between the parties is irretrievably broken.” Rumors began swirling over the weekend about an impending divorce between the couple after TMZ reported that Jonas allegedly hired divorce attorneys.

Jonas, 34, filed divorce papers on Sept. 5 in Miami Dade County, Fla., according to online records. The documents ask for “shared parental responsibility” between himself and Sophie, 27, and said a “parenting plan should be established” for their children. Jonas also asked the court to uphold their prenuptial agreement from April 2019.

The couple first met in 2016, with Sophie sharing with Harper’s Bazaar UK in 2019: “We had a lot of mutual friends, and they’d been trying to introduce us for a long time. We were following each other on Instagram and he direct-messaged me one fine day, out of the blue.” Jonas and Turner were engaged in 2017 after a year together, and officially married in Las Vegas in 2019 at A Little White Wedding Chapel. One month later, Jonas and Turner held their official ceremony and celebration at Le Château de Tourreau in Sarrians, France.

The couple share two children: Willa, 3, and a 14-month old daughter whose name hasn’t been revealed publicly, but was listed as “D.J.” in Jonas’s court documents.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner divorcing after four years of marriage

Joe Jonas has filed for divorce from Sophie Turner after four years of marriage. Legal documents obtained by People claim “the marriage between the parties is irretrievably broken.” Rumors began swirling over the weekend about an impending divorce between the couple after TMZ reported that Jonas allegedly hired divorce attorneys.

Jonas, 34, filed divorce papers on Sept. 5 in Miami Dade County, Fla., according to online records. The documents ask for “shared parental responsibility” between himself and Sophie, 27, and said a “parenting plan should be established” for their children. Jonas also asked the court to uphold their prenuptial agreement from April 2019.

The couple first met in 2016, with Sophie sharing with Harper’s Bazaar UK in 2019: “We had a lot of mutual friends, and they’d been trying to introduce us for a long time. We were following each other on Instagram and he direct-messaged me one fine day, out of the blue.” Jonas and Turner were engaged in 2017 after a year together, and officially married in Las Vegas in 2019 at A Little White Wedding Chapel. One month later, Jonas and Turner held their official ceremony and celebration at Le Château de Tourreau in Sarrians, France.

The couple share two children: Willa, 3, and a 14-month old daughter whose name hasn’t been revealed publicly, but was listed as “D.J.” in Jonas’s court documents.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Karol G, Lil Wayne, Doja Cat, among performers for 2023 VMAs

More artists have been announced to take the stage at the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards on Sept. 12, with Doja Cat, Karol G, Anitta, Lil Wayne, Tomorrow X Together, and Kelsea Ballerini set to perform. Those performers join a lineup that includes Demi Lovato, Måneskin, and Stray Kids.

Lil Wayne will mark his first performance at the VMAs in more than a decade, performing his new single “Kat Food” for the first time. He also is a nominee this year, competing in the category of best hip-hop, which he won in 2008. Doja Cat returns to the VMA stage after hosting and performing “Been Like This” and “You Right” in 2021. She’s also up for five VMAs, including video of the year and artist of the year.

In addition, Shakira is set to perform as this year’s Video Vanguard Award honoree. Taylor Swift leads the nominees with a total of eigh, followed by SZA with six; Doja Cat, Kim Petras, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Olivia Rodrigo and Sam Smith with five each; and Blackpink, Diddy and Shakira with four each.

The 2023 VMAs will air live from New Jersey’s Prudential Center at 8 p.m. ET (delayed PT) on Sept. 12. Awards are voted on by fans.

https://people.com/mtv-vmas-2023-performers-added-lil-wayne-doja-cat-kelsea-ballerini-anitta-7963919

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Two-time Pro Bowl TE Kyle Rudolph retires from NFL after 12 seasons

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Kyle Rudolph is retiring from the NFL after 12 seasons played. Rudolph also spent nine games with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season, but will make his retirement official as a member of the Minnesota Vikings, the team in which he spent the majority of his career with. Outside of his ten years with the Vikings, the two-time Pro Bowl tight end spent one season with the New York Giants, and his last season with the Buccaneers.

Rudolph tallied 4,773 receiving yards and punched home 50 touchdowns on 482 catches throughout his career. As a rookie, he caught 26 passes for 249 yards and three touchdowns; in 2012, Rudolph made his first Pro Bowl after a year where he caught a career-high nine touchdown passes, which was tied for the most in the NFC among tight ends. He missed a total of 15 games in 2013 and 2014, but came back in 2016 to have the best season of his career, catching 83 passes for 840 yards and seven touchdowns. He had a second Pro Bowl season in 2017, finishing the season with eight touchdown catches, which was the eighth most in the NFL. In Week 18 of the 2022 season with Tampa Bay, Rudolph caught what would end up being the final touchdown catch of his career, and the final touchdown pass of Tom Brady’s career.

Rudolph told NBC Sports that he would be retiring, and shared his future plans: “I played for so long and earned a veteran status. Now I’m a rookie getting as many reps as I can in the media world. This off-season is about, ‘Where do I fit in?’ The NBC job doing games on Peacock is cool. And talking about the storylines of the day in the NFL on Sunday nights will be cool, too.” Rudolph will be calling Big 10 games for NBC Sports this fall, and will also be hosting a weekly radio show for Fox Sports.

Editorial credit: CK Foto / Shutterstock.com