Categories
Entertainment Daypop

HBO’s ‘The Idol’ ending one week earlier than planned

HBO’s controversial series ‘The Idol’, starring The Weeknd and Lily-Rose Depp, is coming to an end sooner than planned. The fifth episode of the series, co-created by The Weekend (Abel Tesfaye), Euphoria creator Sam Levinson, and Reza Fahim, will be the last of the season, concluding this Sunday (July 2).  TV Line shared that the series no longer needed six episodes after Levinson joined the team and the story changed drastically: “the season ended up being five episodes when it was all said and done after Sam [Levinson] took over and made significant changes. The story only ended up requiring 5.” Tesfaye also tweeted the news, writing that the show has “one more episode”. 

The Idol follows a Los Angeles club owner and cult leader, Tedros (The Weeknd), who enters a complicated relationship with a rising pop star, Jocelyn (Depp). The cast also includes Troye Sivan, Debby Ryan, and Rachel Sennott, with Elizabeth Berkley, Melanie Liburd and the late Anne Heche in recurring roles.

Meanwhile, The Weeknd has continued to share music from the series, recently dropping three more songs as episode four of the series dropped. “One of the Girls” features BLACKPINK’s Jennie & Lily-Rose Depp, while “Fill the Void” is from Lily-Rose Depp & Ramsey, and the third song is the solo track “Jealous Guy”. Mike Dean serves as producer on all three tracks.

Take a listen to ‘One of the Girls’ (here); ‘Fill the Void’ (here); and ‘Jealous Guy’ (here).

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Lewis Capaldi taking break from touring for the “foreseeable future”

26-year-old singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi has cancelled the rest of his upcoming tour, due to his performances being impacted by his Tourette syndrome (which causes uncontrollable repetitive movements or sounds).

Capaldi said on social media: “I used to be able to enjoy every second of shows like this and I’d hoped 3 weeks away would sort me out. But the truth is I’m still learning to adjust to the impact of my Tourette’s and on Saturday it became obvious that I need to spend much more time getting my mental and physical health in order, so I can keep doing everything I love for a long time to come”

Capaldi’s announcement comes shortly after his performance at Glastonbury over the weekend, during which Capaldi lost his voice and fans helped him finish his song “Someone You Loved.” His statement continued: “The fact that this probably won’t come as a surprise doesn’t make it any easier to write, but I’m very sorry to let you know I’m going to be taking a break from touring for the foreseeable future … I know I’m incredibly fortunate to be able to take some time out when others can’t and I’d like to thank my amazing family, friends, team, medical professionals and all of you who’ve been so supportive every step of the way through the good times and even more so during this past year when I’ve needed it more than ever.”

Earlier this month, Capaldi announced that he was cancelling three weeks of upcoming shows to give himself time “to rest and recover.” He also reflected on his Tourette syndrome diagnosis amid his rise to fame, and addressed his struggles with mental health, in his Netflix documentary ‘Lewis Capaldi: How I’m Feeling Now.’

Capaldi just released his second album, Broken by Desire to Be Heavenly Sent, this year.

Editorial credit: ChrisJamesRyanPhotography / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

NASCAR’s Jimmie Johnson’s in-laws, nephew found dead in suspected murder-suicide

NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson’s in-laws, along with one of their grandchildren, were found dead in Muskogee, Oklahoma on Monday night in what police suspect was a murder-suicide.

The Muskogee Police Department said in a statement that three people were found dead inside a home on Monday night after receiving a 911 call at around 9:05 p.m. over reports of a disturbance and someone with a gun. Once on the scene, police saw a person “laying in the hallway inside the front door.” Soon after, they heard a gunshot from further inside the home. The deceased were identified as 69-year-old Jack Janway, his wife, Terry Janway, 68 — the parents of Johnson’s wife, Chandra — and their 11-year-old grandson, Dalton Janway (Chandra’s nephew). Law enforcement officials said that Terry Janway is a suspect, but the investigation is still ongoing, with no motive known yet. Johnson has been married to Chandra since 2004.

On Tuesday, Legacy Motor Club announced in a statement that Johnson’s No. 84 Carvana Chevrolet will withdraw from NASCAR’s Cup Series event in Chicago on Sunday: “LEGACY MOTOR CLUB has elected to withdraw the No. 84 Carvana Chevrolet from this weekend’s NASCAR Cup Series event in Chicago. The Johnson family has asked for privacy at this time and no further statements will be made.”

NASCAR retweeted the Legacy Motor Club statement, but has not released anything further.

Editorial credit: Grindstone Media Group / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Avalanche deal forward Alex Newhook to Canadiens for two 2023 draft picks

The Montreal Canadiens announced on Tuesday that they have acquired Alex Newhook from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for a 2023 first-round pick, a 2023 second-round pick and defenseman Gianni Fairbrother.

The first-round selection that Montreal dealt to Colorado is the No. 31 overall pick, which was previously owned by the Florida Panthers. The second-round pick is the No. 37 overall selection in the 2023 draft. The Avalanche tweeted: “TRADE: We have acquired a first-round selection (31st overall, previously acquired) and a second-round pick (37th overall) in the 2023 NHL Draft, along with defenseman Gianni Fairbrother, from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Alex Newhook. #GoAvsGo”

Newhook, the No. 16 overall pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, just completed his second full season with the Avalanche. As a rookie in 2021-22, Newhook recorded 13 goals and 33 points. Last season, Newhook totaled 14 goals and 30 points in 82 games.

Editorial credit: The_AA’s / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Ryan Seacrest to replace Pat Sajak as new host of ‘Wheel Of Fortune’

Sony Pictures Television confirmed in a press release on Tuesday that Ryan Seacrest will replace Pat Sajak after he steps down from his role as host of ‘Wheel of Fortune’ after the upcoming 41st season, which premieres this fall. Sajak has served as host of “Wheel of Fortune” since 1981, taking over the position from Chuck Woolery, and has been at the helm of the popular game show ever since.

The “American Idol” host has signed a multi-year agreement as host of the daily syndicated game show.  Seacrest said in a social media post, “I’m truly humbled to be stepping into the footsteps of the legendary Pat Sajak. I can say, along with the rest of America, that it’s been a privilege and pure joy to watch Pat and Vanna on our television screens for an unprecedented 40 years, making us smile every night and feel right at home with them. Pat, I love the way you’ve always celebrated the contestants and made viewers at home feel at ease. I look forward to learning everything I can from you during this transition. Many people probably don’t know this but one of my first jobs was hosting a little game show called ‘Click’ for Merv Griffin 25 years ago so this is truly a full circle moment for me and I’m grateful to Sony for the opportunity. I can’t wait to continue the tradition of spinning the wheel and working alongside the great Vanna White.”

Suzanne Prete, EVP of Game Shows at Sony Pictures Television, said: “I’ve had the pleasure of working with Pat and Vanna for many years, witnessing their effortless ability to bring joy and humor to ‘Wheel of Fortune’ for decades! Pat has been an incredible host and helped build the show into the success it is today. While Ryan has some big shoes to fill, I’m confident he will connect with our loyal fanbase and excite a whole new audience as we expand upon the show’s great legacy. I couldn’t be more thrilled.”

Seacrest’s new gig comes shortly after he left his co-host role on the syndicated “Live With Kelly and Ryan,” where he worked for six years with Kelly Ripa.  Seacrest currently hosts  “Idol,” “On Air With Ryan Seacrest,” “American Top 40,” “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” and his morning show for L.A.’s KIIS-FM radio.

Editorial credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Rihanna steps down as Savage X Fenty CEO

As noted in an article published by Vogue Business, Rihanna has stepped down from her role at Savage X Fenty and appointed a new CEO. Rihanna held the title since founding the line in 2018; she will remain the company’s executive chair.

Hillary Super, the former CEO of Anthropologie Group, will be the new chief executive officer of the brand, effective Monday, June 26.  Savage X Fenty said in a statement: “It’s been beautiful to see our vision for Savage X Fenty impact the industry at such an incredible magnitude over the last five years. This is just the beginning for us, and we’re going to continue to expand in ways that always connect with the consumer. I’m so grateful and excited to welcome Hillary Super as our new CEO – she is a strong leader and is focused on taking the business to an even higher level.”

Editorial credit: Debby Wong / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Rihanna steps down as Savage X Fenty CEO

As noted in an article published by Vogue Business, Rihanna has stepped down from her role at Savage X Fenty and appointed a new CEO. Rihanna held the title since founding the line in 2018; she will remain the company’s executive chair.

Hillary Super, the former CEO of Anthropologie Group, will be the new chief executive officer of the brand, effective Monday, June 26.  Savage X Fenty said in a statement: “It’s been beautiful to see our vision for Savage X Fenty impact the industry at such an incredible magnitude over the last five years. This is just the beginning for us, and we’re going to continue to expand in ways that always connect with the consumer. I’m so grateful and excited to welcome Hillary Super as our new CEO – she is a strong leader and is focused on taking the business to an even higher level.”

Editorial credit: Debby Wong / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Drake releases first book of poetry along with new album announcement

Drake released his first book of poetry, and also teased a new album to accompany the book. 

In an Instagram post alongside an image of the book, Drake wrote: “I don’t know if I have ever wanted people to buy or support something more in my life…our first book is available tmrw on @drakerelated and other select retailers 😮‍💨” Additionally, a QR code directed fans to the website titlesruineverything.com, which features the message: ​​”I made an album to go with the book. They say they miss the old Drake. Girl, don’t tempt me. ‘FOR ALL THE DOGS’.”

Titles Ruin Everything, A Stream of Consciousness by Kenza Samir and Aubrey Graham is currently on sale on Drake’s website.  The book’s page on publisher Phaidon’s website indicates that Titles Ruin Everything will start shipping on July 14:  “Aubrey Drake Graham is a cultural phenomenon — a record-breaking musician, style icon, creative entrepreneur, and actor. Graham has been writing and having fun with poetry as a means of personal expression for quite some time … Flowing across 168 pages, the provocative musings translate Graham’s wit and talent for wordplay into potent stanzas. Together, these meditations on fame, romance, and relationships offer an unfiltered view of the artist’s inner world.”

No release date for the album For All the Dogs has been announced.

Editorial credit: John Steel / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Fenway Sports Group buys Boston team in Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy’s golf league

Fenway Sports Group, owned and run by John Henry and Tom Werner, will be the second of six teams to join TGL, the primetime golf league set to begin competition in January. TGL, developed by Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy in partnership with the PGA Tour, will begin competition in January.

Henry and Werner said in an announcement Monday: “We are excited for this new journey. Through this new, tech-focused version of the game, New England sports fans will soon have a team of world-class PGA Tour players to cheer for and redefine for this community what it means to play the game in the modern era.” Fenway Sports Group owns several major sports franchises, including MLB’s Boston Red Sox, the Liverpool Football Club and the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

Woods, McIlroy and McCarley founded TMRW Sports Group (pronounced “tomorrow”) last year in partnership with the PGA Tour; and has attracted a handful of big names, including Justin Thomas, John Rahm, Collin Morikawa, Adam Scott, Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler. TGL has also attracted many big name athletes as investors, including Shaquille O’Neal, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant; Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton; women’s soccer star Alex Morgan; and pro football’s Tony Romo and Josh Allen

At the time, it was seen as a response to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf league. However, the PGA Tour and LIV agreed to merge business interests to form a new company. The league will feature six teams, consisting of three PGA Tour players each, going head-to-head in match play in an arena in Palm Beach, Florida. The league has not yet announced a broadcast deal due to ongoing negotiations.

Editorial credit: Allen.G / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Utah Jazz acquire John Collins in trade with Atlanta Hawks

The Utah Jazz have acquired forward/center John Collins from the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for veteran forward Rudy Gay and a future second-round pick, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Jazz will pick-up the remainder of Collins’s five-year, $125 million deal he signed ahead of the 2021-22 season, approximately $78 million. . He’s got three more years on the deal and a player option worth $26.58 million ahead of the 2025-26 season, at which point he could potentially opt out. Atlanta received a $25 million trade exception as a result of the deal with the Jazz, which will enable the Hawks to boost their roster.

The 25-year-old Collins is entering his seventh season in the NBA; he had a disappointing season in 2022-23, averaging 13.1 points and shooting a career-worst 29.2% from three-point range.

Editorial credit: EstetStudio / Shutterstock.com