Categories
Sports Daypop

Golden State Warriors’ Steph Curry expected to miss multiple weeks with shoulder injury

Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry will likely miss multiple weeks after injuring his shoulder during Wednesday night’s game against the Indiana Pacers. ESPN reporter Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted the news; Curry was scheduled to get an MRI in Philadelphia on Thursday.

Curry was dealing with a sore right knee prior to Wednesday night’s game against the Pacers, and was unsure whether he would play. Curry was injured with about two minutes left in the third quarter as the Warriors tried to rally from a 20-point halftime deficit. His three-point play with 4:16 to go in the third got Golden State within 83-80. When Pacers forward Jalen Smith dribbled toward the baseline, Curry tried to stop him by sticking his left arm out. Smith continued, and Curry’s arm bent back awkwardly. Curry grabbed his shoulder while standing hunched over on the court then walked to the locker room during the next timeout. Prior to leaving, Curry accounted for half of the Warriors’ 54 first-half points and finished with seven rebounds, seven assists and two steals.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr said: “The trainers told me midway through the fourth quarter that he wasn’t going to return. I trust their judgment. I only spoke to him briefly after the game, so I haven’t had a chance to talk with him yet.” Curry isn’t expected to speak to reporters again until Friday, when the defending NBA champs visit Philadelphia on the third stop of a six-game trip.  Kerr added: “This is a tough stretch of the season and if Steph’s out, it gets tougher for sure. If we’re healthy, I feel like we can beat anybody — I think this team has proven that. We’ve just got to find a way to get there.”

Curry’s injury is just the latest for the Warriors; All-Star guard Klay Thompson missed his second straight game with a right knee injury, and Andrew Wiggins sat out with an abdominal injury. If Curry misses any substantial time, the Warriors will suffer: Said Kerr: “He basically put us on his shoulders for the minutes he was out there. He was getting to the line, finding other people and I thought the guys did great job of battling … Steph’s always a guy with a great outlook on life, so we’re hoping for the best.”

Editorial credit: photoyh / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Dallas Mavericks’ Maxi Kleber out 6-8 weeks with torn hamstring

The Dallas Mavericks announced on Thursday that forward Maxi Kleber tore his right hamstring during Tuesday’s practice. In a short statement, the team said: “Treatment options are being considered. At this time, there is no timetable for Kleber’s return and updates will be given when appropriate.”. According to The Athletic’s Shams Charania, Kleber is expected to miss six-to-eight weeks.

Kleber played 31 minutes in Monday’s winning game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, and after being listed as questionable on the injury report for Wednesday’s game vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers, he was ruled out entirely. The Mavericks next host the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday.

The 30-year-old, 6-foot-10 Kleber is averaging 6.2 points (49/37/79 shooting splits) and 3.5 rebounds in 25.6 minutes off the bench for the Mavericks this season. The Mavericks are 1-5 without Kleber so far this season so his injury is bad news for Dallas, who ranks ninth in the Western Conference through the season’s first two months.

Editorial credit: 4kclips / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Take a look at the trailer for ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’

Sony Pictures Entertainment has shared the trailer for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, the first of a two-part sequel to the 2018 Oscar-winning Into the Spider-Verse.  The two-and-a-half-minute trailer offers a look at the latest chapter of Miles Morales’ hero’s journey, which sees him reunite with Gwen Stacy on a trip through the multiverse. Teased in the trailer is Across the Spider-Verse‘s new dimension-driven storyline, which co-writer and producer Christopher Miller previously said “really opened up an opportunity artistically to have each world have its own art style, and to be able to push the folks at ImageWorks to develop a way to have each dimension feel like it was drawn by a different artist’s hand.”

The sequel’s returning voice cast includes Shameik Moore as Morales, Hailee Steinfeld as Stacy/Spider-Gwen, Jake Johnson as Peter B. Parker, Luna Lauren Velez as Rio Morales and Brian Tyree Henry as Jefferson Davis. Additionally, Across the Spider-Verse will see Issa Rae as Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman, Oscar Isaac as Miguel O’Hara/Spider-Man 2099 and Daniel Kaluuya as Hobart “Hobie” Brown/Spider-Punk. Rachel Dratch, Jorma Taccone, Shea Whigham and Jason Schwartzman among the voice ensemble.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is set to release in theaters on June 2, 2023. Take a look at the trailer: here.

Editorial credit:Faiz Zaki / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Henry Cavill will not be reprising his role as Superman in upcoming DC Universe films

Henry Cavill said in a social media post that he’s been dropped as Superman in the DC Extended Universe, following a meeting with filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran, who were named co-chairmen and CEOs of DC Studios in October. Cavill had confirmed his return as Superman in October, following a cameo in the film Black Adam. Shortly after that announcement, news broke that Liam Hemsworth would replace Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in the Netflix series The Witcher.

The 39-year-old actor wrote: “I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran and it’s sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman. After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life. The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”

Cavill added:“For those who have been by my side through the years….. we can mourn for a bit, but then we must remember…. Superman is still around. Everything he stands for still exists, and the examples he sets for us are still there! My turn to wear the cape has passed, but what Superman stands for never will. It’s been a fun ride with you all, onwards and upwards.”

Gunn tweeted that he and Safran have “a DC slate ready to go,” including a new Superman film without Cavill: “Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill …But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.”

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Jonas Brothers return for three Las Vegas Residency dates in 2023

The Jonas Brothers are heading back to Las Vegas in 2023 with the return of their residency Jonas Brothers: Live in Las Vegas taking place at Dolby Live at Park MGM on February 17, 18 and 19.  Jonas Brothers shared on Instagram: “We couldn’t be more excited to start sharing everything we’re planning for 2023 and 3 more shows in Vegas is the perfect way to kick things off.” 

Nick, Joe and Kevin Jonas said that they change their set list for every show. Jonas Brothers songs like “Year 3000,” “Burnin’ Up” and “S.O.S.” were performed alongside hits from their solo careers, including Nick’s “Jealous” and “Cake by the Ocean,” the latter of which was sung by DNCE and co-written by Joe.

Nick said: “2023 is going to be pretty special. This is just the beginning...” while Joe added: “Who’s ready for more @jonasbrothers? Can it just be 2023 now?? We have so much to share with you 🫢” and Kevin teased“Can’t wait to see you in February. We’ve got some big plans on the way and Vegas is just the start.”

Tickets go on sale Friday (Dec. 16) at 1 p.m. ET via Ticketmaster.

Editorial credit: Brian Friedman / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Pop Daypop

Miley Cyrus reveals performers for her annual ‘Miley’s New Year’s Eve Party’

Miley Cyrus is returning to NBC and Peacock for Miley’s New Year’s Eve Party, which she hosted last year with Pete Davidson. This year, Cyrus he will ring in the new year with none other her own Godmother, the legendary Dolly Parton.

Cyrus recently shared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, that Latto, Sia, and Rae Sremmurd would be performing throughout the night, and also noted that these aren’t the only performers who will be taking the stage at her New Year’s Eve celebration.  Said Miley: “As we get closer to the show, I want to start revealing who else we have. But the lineup is very me. It is curated in a way that makes no sense, but makes total sense.”

Miley’s New Year’s Eve Party will air live on Saturday, December 31 on NBC from 10:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. ET. The special will also stream live on Peacock.

Editorial credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

France defeats Morocco in semifinal match to face Argentina at World Cup final

France beat Morocco 2-0 in the semifinals of the World Cup at the Al Bayt Stadium on Wednesday, and will face Argentina for the first time on Sunday in the World Cup 2022 final. An early goal from Theo Hernández just five minutes into the game, and an additional goal from substitute Randal Kolo Muani earned the defending champions France the win.

France’s Kylian Mbappé will play for his second World Cup title at the age of 23, and French coach Didier Deschamps hopes to become the first manager to win two straight World Cup titles since Italy’s Vittorio Pozzo in 1934 and 1938, and France the first nation to go back-to-back since Brazil in 1958 and 1962. France are hoping to become the first team in 60 years – and third team ever – to retain the World Cup crown in back-to-back tournaments.

Argentina’s Lionel Messi will play in his second World Cup final and what will most likely be his last ever match for La Albiceleste. It would be the first World Cup victory for a South American side since Brazil in 2002, and the first for Argentina since 1986.

Editorial credit: sbonsi / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Sports Daypop

Shortstop Carlos Correa agrees to record 13-year, $350 million contract with San Francisco Giants

Shortstop Carlos Correa and the San Francisco Giants have agreed to a 13-year, $350 million contract, making Correa the highest-paid shortstop in MLB history. The agreement includes no opt-out and a full no-trade clause.

The 28-year-old Correa spent 2015-2021 with the Houston Astros. The eight-year veteran earned Rookie of the Year honors in 2015, and hit a career-high .315 with 24 home runs in 2017 — going on to win the World Series in 2017 with the team.   The two-time All-Star hit a career-high 26 home runs and collected 92 RBIs in his final season with the Astros, before signing a one-year, $35.1 million pact with the Minnesota Twins last off-season. Last season, Correa hit .291 with 22 home runs and 664 RBIs in 136 games with the Twins. Overall, he owns a career .279 average over regular-season appearances.

Editorial credit: Keeton Gale / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Hugh Grant joins Kate Winslet in limited series ‘The Palace’ at HBO

Hugh Grant has been cast in the upcoming HBO limited series “The Palace,” joining previously announced cast members Kate Winslet, Matthias Schoenaerts, and Andrea Riseborough. Exact character details for the series are being kept under wraps, and the drama is said to “tell the story of one year within the walls of the palace of an authoritarian regime as it begins to unravel.”

“The Palace” will be the fourth HBO limited series with Winslet in the lead role. Winslet is also attached to star in the HBO limited series “The Trust,” based on the novel of the same name by Hernan Diaz. Prior to that, Winslet starred in the HBO limited series “Mare of Easttown,” for which she won the Emmy Award for best actress in a limited series. Grant previously starred in the critically-acclaimed HBO limited series “The Undoing” opposite Nicole Kidman, receiving both an Emmy and Golden Globe nomination for his work on the show.

Editorial credit: Fred Duval / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Stephen ‘tWitch’ Boss, ‘SYTYCD’ alum and DJ on ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’, dies at age 40

Stephen “tWitch” Boss, dancer and judge of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ and DJ on ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’, has died at age 40. A cause of death was not officially announced, but TMZ has reported that Boss died by suicide.

Boss’ wife, fellow dancer Allison Holker, issued a statement confirming her husband’s death: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to share my husband, Stephen, has left us. Stephen lit up every room he stepped into. He valued family, friends, and community above all else, and leading with love and light was everything to him. He was the backbone of our family, the best husband and father, and an inspiration to his fans … To say he left a legacy would be an understatement, and his positive impact will continue to be felt. I am certain there won’t be a day that goes by that we won’t honor his memory. We ask for privacy during this difficult time for myself and especially for our three children.”  Holker concluded her statement with: “Stephen, we love you, we miss you, and I will always save the last dance for you.’

Boss first rose to stardom as a professional dancer in 2003, becoming a semifinalist on the MTV dance competition The Wade Robson Project and later competing on the talent show Star Search.  He competed in Season 4 of So You Think You Can Dance in 2008, becoming a runner-up alongside series winner Joshua Allen, and returning to the show in following seasons as a featured ‘All-Star’. This year, he returned to the reality competition show as a judge for Season 17.  Beginning in 2014, Boss was featured on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” as the talk show’s DJ and co-host. Boss starred on the series for eight years, serving as a co-executive producer for the last two until its final episode in 2022. In addition to that gig, Boss was an announcer on DeGeneres’ NBC game show Ellen’s Game of Games, which ran for four seasons from 2017 to 2021.

Boss married Holker — a fellow “SYTYCD” alum who competed on Season 2 and returned as an all-star in future seasons — in 2013. The couple celebrated their ninth wedding anniversary on Dec. 10, just days before Boss’ death. Along with his wife Allison, Boss is survived by their three children: Weslie, 14; Maddox, 6; and Zaia, 3.

https://people.com/tv/stephen-twitch-boss-dead-at-40/?hid=4ca63340d7fc9f9324ca6d3329e33cd166aa651f&did=884187-20221214&utm_campaign=ppl-breakingnews_relationship-builder&utm_source=people.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=121422&cid=884187&mid=104421324913

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com